I had my first durian party yesterday. Annually, POSAD, one of our key suppliers at Sara Lee treats us to this really nice fruit party. It's my first bunch this year as I missed out on the previous ones. The menu?
Drinks:- Fresh Coconut
Appetizers:- Pulasan (they are like rambutans), duku langsat and mangosteen
Main:- Durians, Durians...DURIANS!!! of many many sorts!
It was insane, the amount I ate yesterday, all sorts of varieties - we had like udang merah, jantung, rajah kunyit, çhung-keok, 96, 1901 and what other names that could have come out of of it. I really stuffed myself to the core with that and having the steens and langsat at the side.
I had to push off to Pangkor after that to join my family for dinner. Dad was having friends over, his Malaccan school mates where one is residing in the UK. Well, I had met uncle Jon and Eugene, his son before, we went drinking at the Pub in London. I had one of the most boring sessions of beer drinking in my life, sorry to say. Why's that? Coz they are all mathematicians - it was just all about numbers and sequences and theories. Oh goodness, I told dad after that, " Dad, I never had beer tasting so flat before...hahaha" So it was kinda deja vu seeing the family again and having dinner together. Nonetheless, we still had a relative good time but I was quite a poor conversationalist that night because I was just so stuffed from the fruits. I passed on wine, and rice - I just had minimal food on the table. And because they were visitors, dad splashed them with tons of crabs, crabs - again, I stuffed myself coz it's good stuff. Just to end the night, for a tail end after hearing my adventures on fruits tonight, they go ...let's have durian too!!
And so it came, this thorny green filled up lanterns on the table splash across with a mix of mangosteen and duku langsat, while they were having a ball of a time. I was just staring at them in hope that I wouldn't throw up.
I raised my white flag yesterday.
Drinks:- Fresh Coconut
Appetizers:- Pulasan (they are like rambutans), duku langsat and mangosteen
Main:- Durians, Durians...DURIANS!!! of many many sorts!
It was insane, the amount I ate yesterday, all sorts of varieties - we had like udang merah, jantung, rajah kunyit, çhung-keok, 96, 1901 and what other names that could have come out of of it. I really stuffed myself to the core with that and having the steens and langsat at the side.
I had to push off to Pangkor after that to join my family for dinner. Dad was having friends over, his Malaccan school mates where one is residing in the UK. Well, I had met uncle Jon and Eugene, his son before, we went drinking at the Pub in London. I had one of the most boring sessions of beer drinking in my life, sorry to say. Why's that? Coz they are all mathematicians - it was just all about numbers and sequences and theories. Oh goodness, I told dad after that, " Dad, I never had beer tasting so flat before...hahaha" So it was kinda deja vu seeing the family again and having dinner together. Nonetheless, we still had a relative good time but I was quite a poor conversationalist that night because I was just so stuffed from the fruits. I passed on wine, and rice - I just had minimal food on the table. And because they were visitors, dad splashed them with tons of crabs, crabs - again, I stuffed myself coz it's good stuff. Just to end the night, for a tail end after hearing my adventures on fruits tonight, they go ...let's have durian too!!
And so it came, this thorny green filled up lanterns on the table splash across with a mix of mangosteen and duku langsat, while they were having a ball of a time. I was just staring at them in hope that I wouldn't throw up.
I raised my white flag yesterday.

0 Responses to “Of Durians & Crabs”
Post a Comment